Easy Homemade Mac N' Cheese
One of my favorite things to eat on thanksgiving (and not on thanksgiving) is good homemade mac n' cheese. Nothing beats a good baked mac n' cheese and when you need a good comfort food this holiday season reach for this delicious and homemade mac n' cheese.
16 oz of elbow noodles (Or any noodle you prefer)
2 Tbs of butter
2 Tbs of Flour
2 Cups of Milk
2 Cups of Cheddar-Jack Cheese (This is my favorite for mac n' cheese)
Panko Bread Crumbs (Or any bread crumbs)
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Grab your favorite sauce pan, add enough water to cover your elbow noodles and bring that water to a boil.
3. Once water is to a boil, add elbow noodles and cook till the noodle until it is still a little bit stiff. (Make sure not to over cook the noodles, we will be baking them and you don't want mushy mac n' cheese.)
4. While you boil water. Grab a sauté pan and melt your butter on medium-high heat. (Don't burn the butter. Keep an eye on it, it will melt quick!)
5. Add flour to melted butter and stir around for about 2-3 mins or until the mixture browns
6. Add milk in increments and whisk the milk as you add more into the sauté pan.
7. Once all milk is added, keep whisking and you will notice that the mixture will slowly thicken. You are making a roux!
8. You want the roux to be about the thickness of a cheese sauce. Once you get to this thickness, add cheese slowly and stir in with each handful of cheese. Add salt and pepper for taste.
9. Add in the cooked and strained noodles to the cheese sauce and stir everything together.
10. Spray your glass cooking dish with Pam and then put the mac n' cheese into the dish.
11. Top the mac n' cheese with Panko bread crumbs and place in oven until the top is golden brown. (I like to take a little bit of grated sharp cheddar cheese and place that on the mac n' cheese about 10 mins in the oven.)
12. Take out of oven and let cool for about 5 mins and ENJOY!
I hope you liked this quick and easy homemade mac n' cheese recipe. Let me know if you try it!